Saturday 10 February 2018

Life without supermarkets

Gracious I am not sure where that year went without updating my blog! 

I am writing today just as we approach Lent, because my daughter has challenged me to join her in giving up supermarkets for Lent.   

My new year's resolution was to 'eat less and eat better' and I have been searching our local shops, farm shops etc for meat and veg in an attempt to eat more ethically and cut down on the use of plastic, food miles as well as eat food that supports our local economy and good animal welfare. Attempting to give up supermarkets for Lent really takes that a step further as I will see if it is possible to get everything we need locally.

This challenge has made me feel a bit nervous and made me realise just how much we rely on our weekly supermarket shop.  My research so far has shown that buying more local and organic produce costs more and involves a lot more effort to seek out what we need.  I love the food writer, Joanna Blythman, who suggests that we CAN eat ethically and organically on a budget so long as we shop wisely, buy cheaper cuts of meat, eat less meat and cook everything from scratch.

I already do cook most food from scratch but the challenge now is to spend this time eating more simply, eating a bit less but more ethically.  I am not sure how I am going to fit all this in to my busy life but as Emily has laid down the challenge I will have a go and let you know how I get on!  If anyone has any handy hints and suggestions do get in touch! 

All We Can, the charity for which I am one of trustees, has produced some excellent Lent resources, called 'Keep it Simple' which aims to help us explore the pleasure of living simply while joining in solidarity with our global neighbours.  I would really encourage you to have a look and use them in your personal daily devotions or in your Lent groups or to give to the amazing work they are doing around the world with people who often struggle to provide for the daily needs of themselves and their families.  www.allwecan.org.uk/simple  



No comments:

Post a Comment